healthcare - OT

This is off topic for this blog, but hey, its my party and I can cry if I want to.

So I went in for my normal doctor appointment recently. Here is "my doctor" that I only see for 20 minutes a year. This is someone supposedly that I entrust my health concerns with but if I dare take more than 10 minutes in his presence, I get this distinct feeling of discontent on his part. This is the guy that I have to have sign off on anything in order for the insurance to cover it.

And if I am in an emergency situation, can I talk to him?

No, I must go to an emergency room and deal with complete strangers. And then, after the emergency is taken care of, he walks into the hospital room like he was in charge of the situation all along. If I was an ER doc, I would unionize and force my recognition into the situation.

I find it interesting that in our modern healthcare, that I really don't have a doctor in a personal way. I have a system, a system that is being controlled by the dictator of insurance. I told my insurance representative one time that "I don't have a doctor, but an insurance company." She took a step back and told me that my "health care is physician directed." If this is so, then why does my doctor's office have a sign posted at the check in desk stating that every health insurance is different so it is the patient's responsibility to determine if what the doctor is going to do is going to be covered. Why am I responsible financially if my "physician directed" me to do something and then the insurance won't cover it?

I am so tempted to pull out the cell phone and call my insurance company one day in front of my doctor to get their approval on whatever he is attempting to do. Or maybe while I am lying there in the ER, I must be wheeled outside (can't use a cell phone in the hospital.) to contact the insurance company. Oh, wait, its not inside business hours. I can call that free nurse line and all they say is go to the ER. Oh, wait, I AM ALREADY THERE!!!

This is just a ludicrous system, I have a insurance system that has so much double talk due to lawyers protecting them and a doctors office that has lawyers protecting them with their small print that you have to sign off on. I am paying hard earned money for both of these entities that are trying so hard to cover their tails that they are quickly becoming of little value. So do I need a lawyer to come with me to the office?

I can see it in the near future. Right off the lobby in every doctors building will be a personal counsel service that will attend your office visit. Of course, they will have their own document that covers their tails as well.

No comments: